- Best known for his fiction featuring miners, gamblers of the California Gold Rush.
- He is estimated to have written about 100 million words in his lifetime.
Arthur Rowland Howell
- He interchanged amusing verses with the Duke of Berwick.
Richard Harris Barham
Karl Robert Eduard von Hartmann
- He lived a retired life of study, while suffering great pain.
- He earned international acclaim shooting photographs of well known pop and showbiz personalities.
Thomas Humphry Ward
- Author and journalist, most notable as the husband of Mrs Humphry Ward.
- He focused more on a declining rural society.